London Snow from the Lion's Den
- Peppermint Tea
- Milk of choice
- Vanilla syrup
- Candy Cane
- Take your peppermint tea bag and place it in your cup or mug.
- Fill the cup or mug with enough hot water to submerge the tea bag.
- Allow the tea to steep for 1-2 minutes.
- Optional: Add vanilla syrup:
- Small: 2 pumps (0.5 oz)
- Medium: 3 pumps (0.75 oz)
- Large: 4 pumps (1 oz)
- Steam your milk of choice.
- Fill the remainder of the cup with steamed milk leaving the teabag in.
- Optional: Stir with a candy cane!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Miniature marshmallows, sweetened whipped cream or cinnamon sticks (optional)
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa and salt.
- Add water, and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in milk, then heat to serving temperature (do not boil).
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla, and whisk until frothy.
- If desired, garnish with marshmallows, cream or cinnamon sticks.
For Swiss Mocha Cocoa: Add 2 to 2-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee with vanilla.
For Canadian Cocoa: Add 1/2 teaspoon imitation maple flavoring with vanilla.
For Slim-Trim Cocoa: Omit sugar. Combine cocoa, salt and water. Substitute fat-free milk. Proceed as above. Stir in vanilla with artificial sweetener equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar.
Arroz Con Leche (Mexican Rice Pudding)
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- One 4-inch cinnamon stick
- One 12-ounce can evaporate milk
- One 14-ounce can condense milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- Ground cinnamon (for dusting)
- Put the water, rice, and cinnamon stick in a medium-size heavy saucepan set over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, uncovered, and cook until the rice is tender, about 18 minutes.
- Strain out the liquid, discard the cinnamon and reserve the rice. Return the rice to the saucepan.
- Stir in the evaporated milk, condensed milk, and whole milk.
- Continue cooking over medium-high heat until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick, about 20 minutes.
- Add the raisins and stir well.
- Transfer the pudding to a serving bowl. Dust the top of the pudding with ground cinnamon and serve.
Barbajada (Milanese Hot Chocolate-Coffee Drink)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (3/4 ounce; 25g)
- 1/4 cup sugar (2 ounces; 55g)
- 1 1/2 cups (355 ml) milk
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) strong coffee or expresso
- Whipped cream (for serving)
- In a medium bowl, stir together cocoa powder and sugar until thoroughly combined.
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk over moderate heat until steaming.
- Whisk in cocoa / sugar mixture along with coffee, whisking rapidly until hot and frothy.
- Divide into warmed mugs and top with whipped cream.