Daily Update with Event Planning Guidelines
LMU continues to monitor the ever-changing situation surrounding COVID-19, both globally and in Los Angeles County. Please visit LMU’s Coronavirus Website for the latest information and guidance.
While event cancelations are not necessary at this time, all events are being evaluated on a daily basis due to the fluid nature of COVID-19. Event planners have the option to cancel or postpone any event that is occurring between now and April 30, 2020, to be eligible for a full or partial refund. The campus will also not be reserving any new external events through April 30, 2020. LMU strongly encourages all event hosts who choose to proceed as scheduled to enact additional health measures that help limit the spread of communicable diseases. LMU Conference & Event Services recommends implementing the following safeguards to help promote a healthy environment for all guests.
- Collect guest contact information, for the easy sharing of time-sensitive public health updates and potential schedule changes.
- Ensure that all guests are abiding by current travel restrictions as posted at lmu.edu/coronavirus/travelrestrictions.
- Determine a plan if the event must be postponed, canceled, moved to an alternate venue, or turned into a webinar.
- For paid events, consider a guest refund or credit policies.
- It is strongly recommended to have no shared pens at the event (including check-in, sessions, etc.). Please plan accordingly when ordering supplies.
Event Cleaning & Hygiene
LMU Facilities Management has proactively implemented enhanced cleaning and sanitizing of all campus buildings, including increased use of disinfectants in high-traffic areas.
Event planners may amplify cleaning and sanitation by:
- Setting up hand-sanitizer stations (with 60 percent alcohol or higher) throughout the venue.
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Catering and Campus Dining
- As of March 5, 2020, all sell-serve food stations (salad bars, soup stations, buffet-style dining) in campus retail locations have been closed temporarily.
- If you are hosting a catered event, consider offering waitstaff- served or individually wrapped foods. Prepackaged utensils are recommended to minimize the spread of germs.
- Canned or bottled beverages are recommended over open water pitchers.
It is strongly recommended that event planners send all guests a reminder of common health etiquette, prior to their arrival at the event. The following message can be shared with guest lists:
We would like to remind all guests of the following common health etiquette, to help ensure the health and well-being of all attendees:
- If you or someone in your household is not feeling well (including even just a headache or cough), please stay home and do not attend the event.
- Remember to wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a bent elbow or a tissue, then immediately throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Consider an elbow bump or foot shake instead of a handshake, when greeting colleagues and friends.
The health of our guests is our top priority. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns – we look forward to seeing you at the event!
Additionally, it is recommended that the above health etiquette tips be included in the opening remarks at your event, as a reminder for all guests in attendance.
LMU Conference & Event Services sincerely appreciates your patience, as we continue to navigate this rapidly developing situation. Please keep in mind that things could change at any moment, and if your event becomes affected, you will be notified as soon as possible. The university applies careful consideration to any change and defers to the L.A. County Department of Public Health for issues concerning the health and well-being of the LMU community. For additional information related to COVID-19, kindly email email@example.com. For questions specifically related to your event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.