Update to Faculty and Staff Regarding Learning Space Reconfiguration and Other Updates
LMU continues to monitor the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) and is working diligently to safeguard the safety and well-being of our community. Please visit LMU's Coronavirus Website (Accessible; En Español) for the latest information.
En Español Via Google Translate
Learning Space Reconfiguration Underway
Information Technology Services and the deans' offices are collaborating to ensure instructional safety in classrooms by reconfiguring 250-300 spaces by August 15.
- Desks will be spaced apart to ensure six feet of physical distancing.
- Classroom floors will be marked with the correct desk locations for reference.
- Additional technology will be added to rooms that currently lack the equipment necessary for bi-modal instruction.
- Revised room capacity signage will be displayed in each classroom.
- Computer labs will also be subject to reduced capacity. To help with computing needs, ITS launched a virtual computer lab system that students can access from on or off-campus. Visit ITS Virtual Computer Lab for instructions.
- In collaboration with faculty, chairs, and deans, ITS will soon address specialty classroom needs within departments.
Department of Public Safety (DPS)
DPS continues to refine safety measures, including but not limited to:
- Officers will wear face coverings when interacting with the community.
- DPS will follow updated protocols from federal, state, and local health and safety organizations when responding to emergency situations.
- Equipment and vehicles will be sanitized after each use.
Facilities Management (FM)
FM is implementing new sanitation measures, including but not limited to:
- Hand sanitizer stations are being installed near entrances to campus buildings, offices, residence halls, classrooms, library study areas, dining areas, elevator lobbies, breakrooms, locker rooms, and large open areas (including lounges, villages, and atriums).
- All high-touch areas (including elevator buttons, main door entrances, escalator rails, and the Student Health Center) will be cleaned with EPA-approved disinfectants three times daily.
- FM will continue to dust, remove trash, and clean floors, door handles and light switches in personal offices. FM will provide cleaning supplies to departments so faculty and staff may regularly self-clean and sanitize their personal work spaces.
- Water fountains will be disinfected three times daily and hand sanitizer will be provided nearby. All fountains are filtered and also serve as refill stations.
- Ventilation filters will be replaced every 3-4 months in alignment with guidance from the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE).
- Classrooms will be cleaned between courses, and deep cleaned every night.
- Restrooms will offer extra soap dispensers that will be deep cleaned nightly.
- Public study lounges will be deep cleaned nightly.
A-Z Index Provides Quick Answers
In an effort to provide quick answers to common questions regarding LMU's response to COVID-19, the LMU Coronavirus website now features a new A-Z resource. The website is being updated regularly with the latest information. If you receive an outside inquiry and can't find the answer on the website, please contact the COVID-19 Response Team.
Student Health Services (SHS)
SHS is developing plans for on-campus testing for students, and appropriate isolation and quarantine protocols. They also anticipate offering telemedicine capabilities. SHS staff continue to follow the latest knowledge, medical protocols, and emerging expertise for COVID-19, including epidemiological considerations, symptoms, testing/diagnosis, treatments, contact tracing, and recommendations for clinical practices.
Campus Dining will provide pre-ordered meals and beverages for pickup through a mobile app to minimize crowding at dining facilities and person-to-person contact at cash registers and food stations. The university will modify furniture placement in dining rooms to accommodate physical distancing requirements.
Campus Remains Closed
LMU continues to align with guidance from public health authorities:
- Campuses remain closed, with the exception of resident students, permanent residents, and essential personnel.
- Anyone approved to access campus must wear a face covering at all times and prior to entering campus entrances.
- Campus residents who experience signs of illness should call their healthcare provider and then inform Public Safety at 310.338.2893. They must also follow all instructions to self-isolate.
- Essential personnel who experience signs of illness may not enter our campuses. They must contact their healthcare provider and follow their instructions.
The university will continue to share more information as appropriate.
- Faculty and Staff to Remain Home Through June 30
- Campus Access Guidelines
- Vendor Campus Access Guidelines
- Campus Access Restrictions
- Working Through COVID-19 | Important Information from Human Resources
- Keep Teaching Wherever You Are | Important Information from ITS
- Campus Operations Status
Department of Public Safety Available 24/7
If you reside or work on campus and have been exposed to someone with COVID-19, are currently being tested, or have tested positive for COVID-19, please contact the Department of Public Safety immediately at 310.338.2893. This is to ensure LMU can take the necessary precautions to limit any exposure or provide guidance for those affected by COVID-19.
Support Resources and Services
Please note the university has resources and services available to support and assist our community:
- Student Health Services – 310.338.2881 (students)
- Community of Care – email@example.com (students)
- Campus Ministry – firstname.lastname@example.org (students)
- Office for International Students and Scholars – OISS@lmu.edu (students)
- Public Safety – 310.338.2893
- Student Psychological Services – 310.338.2868 (students)
- Center for Ignatian Spirituality – email@example.com (faculty and staff)
- Employee Assistance Program – (faculty and staff)
- Human Resources – 310 338 2723 (faculty and staff)
- Parent and Family Programs (parents)
Please continue to check the Coronavirus Website and FAQs to answer any questions you may have. If you cannot answer your question there or if there is other information you would like to see in our advisories, please complete this form.