Loyola Marymount University is the only university in the heart of Silicon Beach and promotes itself as "The University of Silicon Beach®." But the LMU-Silicon Beach relationship is much deeper than geography: They are programmatically and strategically symbiotic, as well as interwoven into the fabric of Los Angeles. LMU's internationally ranked film and television, marketing, business, and engineering programs have developed industry partnerships and internship opportunities. Silicon Beach, where tech innovation thrives, is the launching pad for "global imagination," a vision also articulated by LMU's President Timothy Law Snyder, Ph.D. LMU is an incubator of entrepreneurialism, where world-changing ideas are imagined and formed; those ideas are then brought to life with LMU's Silicon Beach neighbors.
LMU, ranked No. 3 in the West by U.S. News & World Report, is home to the No. 7-ranked entrepreneurship program, which is one of the largest in the country with about 300 undergraduate students. LMU graduates are founders or early employees of many Silicon Beach companies, including: The Honest Company, Allscreen.tv, OneStop Internet, and many others. LMU is Silicon Beach's talent pool where companies such as Activision Blizzard, Method Studios, Belkin, Snapchat, Rubicon Project, Atom Factory, Chow Now, Fuhu Inc., Tesla, Sony, LionsGate, IMAX, and Universal Music hire LMU students as interns and employees. The university highlights its students' successes by tracking and reporting their career pathways at outcomes.lmu.edu.
L.A. is the world's capital of diversity and creativity, and the city's cultures, religions, races, and languages all interconnect at LMU. The university's students come from all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and more than 100 countries. LMU's economic impact measures one aspect of this relationship as the university adds nearly $1 billion annually to California's economy, of which $808 million and over 5,300 jobs are concentrated in Los Angeles County.
"Silicon Beach is our game-changer," stated LMU President Snyder in an interview with Bloomberg News. "While Silicon Valley has a lot of chip- level nerdy activity, Silicon Beach is bursting with digital media, creativity, and content creation." For example, LMU's mSchool, a progressive center for marketing education and practice, actively partners with leading Silicon Beach marketing firms to create immersive learning experiences and mentorship projects where students apply real-world digital marketing strategies in a fast-changing marketplace. LMU mSchool students collaborate with executives and teams at Deutsch LA, TBWA\Chiat\Day, Electronic Arts, Google, Facebook, RadicalMedia and many others.
LMU hosts the annual Silicon Beach Expo, the community's largest event that brings together companies and organizations to share ideas, and spur innovation. LMU's President Snyder sums it up by saying, "Our Jesuit education challenges intellectuals and citizens to live lives of meaning and purpose. Our home is L.A. Our neighborhood is Silicon Beach. You can learn at many places, but only LMU brings you all of the above. Many want a degree. We want those who seek to create a difference."
For more facts about LMU, visit lmu.edu/facts.
- EA Sports — video game developer, arrived in 2003
- SCE Santa Monica Studio — video game developer, arrived in 2014
- Microsoft — technology company, arrived in 2013
- Deutsch LA — ad/marketing agency, arrived in 2000
- Digital Domain — visual effects and technology, arrived in 2013
- TBWA\Chiat\Day — ad/marketing agency, arrived in 1998
- Belkin — consumer electronics and accessories, arrived in 2010
- ICANN — assigns internet domains, arrived in 2012
- Facebook — social network, arrived in 2011
- Imax — large-format film production, arrived in 2015
- Google — internet technology, arriving soon
- Yahoo — internet portal, arrived in 2015
- YouTube — video-sharing website, arrived in 2012
- Gehry Technologies — architectural and design technology, arrived in 2013
- Rubicon Project — advertising technology, arrived in 2013
- Rovi Corp. — digital entertainment technology, arrived in 2011
- 72andsunny — advertising and design, arrived in 2013