The following information is not intended to frighten, it is intended to inform and to enhance personal safety. “Active shooter” is the term used to describe a person who appears to be actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area; in most cases, active shooters use firearm(s) and there is no pattern or method to their selection of victims. Active shooter situations are unpredictable and evolve quickly.
The educational resources listed below have been developed to provide all members of the LMU community with prevention, personal safety and preparedness tips for active shooter situations.
IF AN ACTIVE SHOOTER IS IN YOUR IMMEDIATE PRESENCE
- If it is safe to do so and only once you have identified an escape route, evacuate the building or area. Seek shelter in a secure location (preferably a room with a door).
- If you are unable to find a secure location and/or safely evacuate, conceal and shield yourself.
- Wherever you are, crouch down and spread out.
- When safe to do so, call 9-1-1 and contact the Department of Public Safety (DPS). If it becomes unsafe to talk, leave the line open so the dispatcher can listen.
- As a last resort, once all other options have been exhausted and only when your life is in imminent danger, you may choose to incapacitate the shooter.
IF YOU ARE NOTIFIED OF AN ACTIVE SHOOTER VIA LMU ALERT OR YOU HEAR GUNSHOTS AND THE ACTIVE SHOOTER IS NOT IN YOUR IMMEDIATE PRESENCE
If you notice odd or threatening behavior on campus, report it to DPS immediately.