Loyola Marymount University is committed to the responsible use of information collected from its Web presence, LMU.edu. To safeguard personally identifiable information submitted online, the University requires adherence to the guidelines set forth in this policy.
This document has been made publicly available in order to inform Web visitors of the methods and practices the University employs in information collection and privacy protection. This policy shall not be construed as a contractual obligation and the University reserves the right to amend it at anytime without notice.
General Practices + Methods
- The university respects individual privacy and takes reasonable precautions to prevent unauthorized access, protect against identity theft and to comply fully with all laws and government regulations in the use, storage, display, distribution and disposal of such information.
- The university provides access to information to its officials and/or agents with a legitimate academic or business purpose.
- The university does not share personally identifiable information provided by Web visitors in ways unrelated to the stated purpose without a clear notice on the Web site in which the information is collected and/or submitted.
- The university will make information available to a legally authorized government entity or representative or will provide access to information if legally compelled to do so.
Web Visitor Tracking Systems
- The university utilizes Web analytics and metrics analysis systems. As a condition of accessing LMU.edu Web sites, Web visitor information is collected by our Web servers and content management systems. This information generally includes, but is not limited to, the following:
-- the Internet domain of the Web visitor (including IP address)
-- the Web page(s) or service(s) requested by the Web visitor
-- the Web browser software, version and operating system
-- the date/time of the Web visit
-- the originating Web site that linked the Web visitor to LMU.edu
- The university generally uses this information to analyze and predict trends in Web traffic and to make improvements and enhancements to the Web presence. The information is generally presented in aggregate form; however, the university may utilize and individual’s tracking information in the rare event of a security breach or other investigation.
- The university retains Web-server logs and/or analytics report indefinitely.
- Web visitors are hereby notified that Web page requests and data transmitted from the visitor’s computer to university systems may be intercepted or discerned by third parties. The University employs the use of security encryption (SSL) on Web pages in which personally identifiable information is submitted, but does not provide any guarantees on information in-transit to university systems.