These reading suggestions include new books, articles, and media pieces that are of relevance for teaching and learning at LMU by discussing the larger education context or more specific pedagogical and other aspects that are relevant for LMU's educational mission. Listing of a source does not imply an endorsement of the point of view presented, but rather an acknowledgement of the perceived importance of the position and the fact that the CTE noticed and read the piece.
The reading suggestions below are in reverse chronological order listed as they have been posted on the CTE website.
For more reading suggestions, like "LMU Center for Teaching Excellence" on Facebook.
- Loes, C.N., Saichaie, K., Padgett, R.D., & Pascarella, E.T. "The effects of teacher behaviors on students' inclination to inquire and lifelong learning." International Journal for the scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 6(2)
- Parry, M. "You're Distracted. This Professor Can Help.", The Chronicle of Higher Education, March 24, 2013.
- Hart, C. (2012), "Factors associated with student persistence in an online program of study: A review of the literature", Journal of Interactive Online Learning, 11/1, 19-42.
- Dunlosky, J., Rawson, K.A., Marsh, E.J., Nathan, M.J., Willingham, D.T. (2013), "Improving Students' Learning with Effective Learning Techniques: Promising Directions from Cognitive and Educational Psychology", Psychological Science in the Public Interest, 14/1, 4-58. [Summary Handout]
- Karpicke, J.D., Blunt, J.R., (2011), "Retrieval Practice Produces More Learning than Elaborative Studying with Concept Mapping", Science, 331, 772-775.
- Liu, O.L., Bridgeman, B., Adler, R. (2012), "Measuring Learning outcomes in Higher Education", Educational Researcher 41, 352-362.
- Stanger-Hall, K.F. (2012), "Multiple-Choice Exams: An Obstacle for Higher-Level Thinking in Introductory Science Classes", Life Sciences Education 11, 294-306.
- Berrett, D., "Encounters with Diversity, on Campuses and in Course Work, Bolster Critical-Thinking Skills, Studies Find", The Chronicle of Higher Education, Nov 19, 2012.
- New Directions for Teaching and Learning, Special Issue: Evidence-Based Teaching, Winter 2011.
- Pew Research Center, "How Teens Do Research in the Digital World", 11/01/12.
- Common Sense Media Research, "Children, Teens, and Entertainment Media: The View From The Classroom", Fall 2012.
- Higher Education Research Institute (HERI), "Undergraduate Teaching Faculty: The 2010–2011 HERI Faculty Survey", 2012.
- Baker, V.L., Baldwin, R.G., Makker. S., "Where Are They Now? Revisiting Breneman's Study of Liberal Arts Colleges", Liberal Education, AAC&U, Summer 2012, 98/3.
- Porter, S., "Using Student Learning as a Measure of Quality in Higher Education", HCM Strategists, Context for Success, September 2012; also see the Inside Higher Ed piece by Paul Fain, "Performing under Pressure", 10/22/12.
- Tomcho, T.J., Foels, R., "Meta-Analysis of Group Learning Activities: Empirically Based Teaching Recommendations", Teaching of Psychology, July 2012, 39/3, 159-169.
- Chronicle of Higher Education, "College, Reinvented", 10/15/12.