FAQ - New Faculty
How to get started:
- Human Resources: 310-338-2723 or HR@lmu.edu.
- OneCard Office: Von Der Ahe Building, lower level; campus map at http://www.lmu.edu/Assets/WEBADMIN+ONLY+-+Special+Content/Campus+Map+Full+Color.pdf.
- Parking: Check http://www.lmu.edu/parking (see also general permits and part-time faculty permits).
- LOGINs to email and everything else – go to http://my.lmu.edu and set up account there; use “Reset Password”. Email access - go to http://my.lmu.edu, System Logins, Email and Calendar.
- PROWL - go to http://my.lmu.edu, System Logins, PROWL. Under Faculty Services pick Photo Class Roster to get a class list (can be printed). To learn more about your students, select Student Menu under Faculty Services. Classrooms are shown under Schedule and on various other pages. Final and deficiency grades can be submitted under Faculty Services.
- BLACKBOARD/mylmuconnect – go to http://my.lmu.edu, System Logins, MYLMU Connect. Select your courses in right top window. Make sure Edit Mode is ON at right top. Students can see courses only if they are available – under Customization/Properties set availability to yes. Use to send emails under Course Tools/Send Email. Choose MYLMU Connect Faculty Resources on the right, then Connect Tutorials for help.
- ELECTRONIC RESERVES - go to http://my.lmu.edu, System Logins, ERes. See instructions there (bottom) – you need your personal ERes password (do not make it your mylmu password) and a password per class (keep it simple). You can upload pdf or other files there or place links to permanent/stable URLs for articles in databases (http://library.lmu.edu , select Research Databases). You can also ask the library to do so for you with appropriate lead time.
- IT support – you can email the helpdesk if something does not work; otherwise visit the Faculty Innovation Center (http://its2.lmu.edu/fic/) or contact your ITA (http://its2.lmu.edu/fic/itas/index.html). Go to to http://my.lmu.edu, System Logins, Lynda.com for software tutorials.
- CLASSROOM support – check info sheet in classrooms, call 81735 for immediate assistance, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SYLLABUS – check list at http://www.lmu.edu/Assets/Academic+Affairs+Division/Faculty+Support/Syllabus+Checklist.pdf.
- ACADEMIC RULES: Bulletin at http://www.lmu.edu/about/services/registrar/Bulletin/Bulletins_in_PDF_Format.htm, LMU Community Standards at http://www.lmu.edu/studentlife/studentaffairs/housing/ocsl/resources/Community_Standards_2011-2012.htm , Faculty Handbook at http://www.lmu.edu/about/Faculty_Senate/Faculty_Handbook.htm, Disruptive Student Policy at TBD.
Ask your departmental Administrative Assistants and Chairs for help with course- or department-specific questions.
The Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) is always happy to assist with teaching-related questions: email@example.com or 310-338-5866.
For more details see the Full-Time Faculty Resource Guide: http://www.lmu.edu/Assets/Academic+Affairs+Division/Faculty+Support/New+Faculty+Orientation/Faculty+Resource+Guide+2012-13.pdf.
You can directly access most web services: http://mail.lmu.edu, http://mylmuconnect.lmu.edu, http://www.lmu.edu/prowl, http://eres.lmu.edu, http://its.lmu.edu, http://doorway.lmu.edu, http://spamfilter.lmu.edu.