Peer Observations of Teaching
This page provides guidelines and forms for the peer observation process, both of summative and formative nature.
The documents below are part of the Teaching Toolkit
developed by the Committee for the Comprehensive Evaluation of Teaching
(CCET). Feedback and suggestions welcome - please send to firstname.lastname@example.org
LMU Peer Observation Documents
The LMU Peer Observation Documents above may not address all needs. The links below provide suggestions that may be helpful as alternative or additional resources for summative evaluations. As discussed in the Key Steps document above, it is important to pick an appropriate instrument for the peer observation that addresses the instructor's and the department's needs.
The list below also contains additional resources for formative assessment.
Selection of Other Peer Observation Forms
- Reformed Teaching Observation Protocol (ROTP), ASU, Math and Science, in particular, page 26 onwards
- Classroom Observation and Analytic Protocol, Horizon, Math and Science, K-12
- Class Observation Checklist, American Society of Engineering Education
- Checklist of Teaching Skills, National Academy of Science, National Research Council
- Learning Focused Observation Rubric, US Air Force Academy
- Instructional Observation Checklist, Texas A&M University
Selection of Peer Observation Websites and Sources
- Brent, R., Felder, R.M. (2004), A Protocol for Peer Review of Teaching, Proceedings of the 2004 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition.
- Cashin, W.E. (1996), "Developing an Effective Faculty Evaluation System", IDEA Paper 33.
- Chism, N. (2007), Peer Review of Teaching: A Sourcebook, Jossey-Bass.
- to be expanded soon
Please let us know at email@example.com
about any important missing resources or sources.
Last Update 4/23/2013
Please direct any questions and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.