Peer ObservationsPeer Observations of Teaching
This page provides guidelines and forms for the peer observation process, both of summative and formative nature.
The documents below are part of the Teaching Toolkit developed by the Committee for the Comprehensive Evaluation of Teaching (CCET). Feedback and suggestions welcome - please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
LMU Peer Observation Documents
- Evaluation of Teaching and the Role of Peer Observation
- Using Peer Observation
- Key Steps in the Process for Peer Observation
- Peer Observation Form [Word Version]
- Additional Criteria Peer Observation Form [Word Version]
- Peer Observation Material (all document combined)
The LMU Peer Observation Documents above may not address all needs. The links below provide suggestions that may be helpful as alternative or additional resources for summative evaluations. As discussed in the Key Steps document above, it is important to pick an appropriate instrument for the peer observation that addresses the instructor's and the department's needs.
The list below also contains additional resources for formative assessment.
Selection of Other Peer Observation Forms
- Reformed Teaching Observation Protocol (ROTP), ASU, Math and Science, in particular, page 26 onwards
- Classroom Observation and Analytic Protocol, Horizon, Math and Science, K-12
- Class Observation Checklist, American Society of Engineering Education
- Checklist of Teaching Skills, National Academy of Science, National Research Council
- Learning Focused Observation Rubric, US Air Force Academy
- Instructional Observation Checklist, Texas A&M University
- Colorado State University - Peer Observation Links
- National Research Council, Evaluating and Improving Undergraduate Teaching in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, 2003
- Millis, B. (1992), Conducting Effective Peer Classroom Observations, To Improve The Academy, 11.
- Texas A&M University - Peer Review of Teaching Guide
- University of Albany - Peer Observation and Assessment of Teaching
- University of Medicine & Dentistry NJ - Peer Observation Links
- University of Michigan - Classroom Observation Instruments
- University of Texas at Austin - Prepare for Peer Observation
- Brent, R., Felder, R.M. (2004), A Protocol for Peer Review of Teaching, Proceedings of the 2004 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition.
- Cashin, W.E. (1996), "Developing an Effective Faculty Evaluation System", IDEA Paper 33.
- Chism, N. (2007), Peer Review of Teaching: A Sourcebook, Jossey-Bass.
- Kite, M.E. (2012), Effective Evaluation of Teaching: A Guide for Faculty and Administrators [pdf]
- to be expanded soon
Last Update 4/23/2013