Carl G. Kadner served as a professor of biology from 1936 to 1978 at Loyola University and LMU. During that time, he served as chair of the Biology Department for many years. Throughout his career he worked to continually revise the biology curriculum so as to adapt to new discoveries and research in the field. An exemplar of the teacher-scholar model, Professor Kader and his colleague Professor Harold Harper became the first faculty members to conduct laboratory research on campus when they began original research into heredity genetics, vitamin D, and infectious disease in 1937. Professor Kadner also developed and introduced the first laboratory courses at Loyola University in general physiology, parasitology and genetics. During his four decades of service, he prepared many students for successful careers in medical and health-related fields. As longtime chair of the Biology department, he assisted with the structuring of the College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Engineering as they transitioned into the College of Liberal Arts and the College of Science and Engineering. In 1970, Professor Kadner was elected to a three-year term as a trustee of the university.
Professor Kadner earned a bachelor's degrees from the University of San Francisco, and a master's degree and Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley. While a member of the Loyola faculty, he served in the U.S. Army during World War II, attaining the rank of Major and working as a malariologist and parasitologist in New Guinea and Japan. Professor Kadner held memberships in the Entomological Society of America, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Society of Microbiology, the Western Society of Naturalists, and Sigma Xi. When he retired, the Kadner-Pitts Chair of Research in the Biological Sciences and the Kadner-Pitts Research Grant were established at LMU in his honor and that of his longtime colleague and research partner Thomas Pitts. Professor Kadner passed away in 2008 at the age of 96.