Final Grades and Policies
For the complete LMU Grades and Policies see the online Bulletin >>
Students are required to take all scheduled examinations. Final examinations are to be held at the time published by the Office of the Registrar. No student is allowed to take a final examination before the scheduled time.
Grades and Final Grades
The work of all students at LMU is reported in terms of grades. Instructors are required to assign a final grade for each student registered in a course. The Office of the Registrar via PROWL issues a grade report to the student at the end of each term.
Incomplete Course Work/Grade
A grade of Incomplete (I) may be assigned by the professor only
if a student has completed at least 80% of the coursework.
The student must speak to the professor prior to final exam week to determine if the completed course work meets the minimum requirement for a grade of Incomplete and to discuss what further work is required to complete the course. The professor may or may not agree to the assignment of a grade of Incomplete. If the professor agrees to assign the grade of Incomplete, s/he will enter a grade of "I" on the Final Grade Roster.
The student’s deadline for submitting all outstanding coursework for undergraduate level courses is three weeks after the first scheduled class day of the next full semester. Graduate students who received a grade of Incomplete in graduate level courses have one academic year to complete and submit all outstanding coursework, unless an earlier deadline is set by the professor.
- An incomplete grade not removed by the deadline will default to an "F" or to the default grade as submitted by the instructor on the Final Grade Roster.
- If a student requires an extension to the deadline, the student must petition to obtain an extension to the deadline for removal of the grade of Incomplete. The petition, approved by the instructor, must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar prior to the initial deadline.
- A degree will not be granted while a grade of Incomplete remains on an undergraduate student’s record.
- Graduate students carrying any grades of Incomplete are not permitted to take a comprehensive examination until all "I" grades have been removed.
- Graduate students enrolled in undergraduate level courses and who have received a grade of Incomplete in the undergraduate level course must submit outstanding coursework no later than three weeks after the first scheduled class day of the next full semester.
Change of Grade
Grades, once submitted to the Office of the Registrar, are changed only in case of instructor calculation error. An instructor desiring a change of grade must present a written explanation on the Correction of Grade form to the Chairperson and the Dean. If approved, the instructor submits the form to the Office of the Registrar. No grade change will be made after the fourth week of instruction of the next full term.
A student’s permanent record reflects the coursework upon which the University awarded the degree or recommended a credential. Therefore, no grade or other changes are permitted either after awarding the degree or recommending the credential.