Internal Assessment Grant
This grant program began in 2009 in response to faculty requests for more support for assessment work. Summaries of assessment work conducted by all previous grant recipients can be found here: http://www.lmu.edu/about/services/academicplanning/assessment/Internal_Assessment_Grant/Previous_Recipients.htm
The 2013 grants will provide funding for a limited number of program assessment activities during the summer of 2013. A PDF of the 2013 Call for Proposals can be downloaded by clicking here
Call for Proposals
Purpose: The purpose of these grants is to support faculty work in assessment of student learning outcomes within academic programs.
Award: Grants will be awarded for up to $1000 per project until funds are expended.
Use of Funds: Funds may be used for program assessment activities that otherwise could not be completed during the academic year. Possible uses include assessment planning activities (e.g., in a department retreat), purchase of assessment resources (e.g., books, software, etc.), stipends for evaluation of student work products (e.g., portfolios, capstone experiences, etc.), development of assessment methods (e.g., rubric, exam, survey, etc.), and analysis of assessment data.
Eligibility: Stipends will be awarded only to continuing full-time tenured/tenure-track or clinical faculty. Priority will be given to first time applicants.
Exclusions: Funds may not be used for assessment work that is being funded by other sources.
Grant Applications: All applications should include the following:
1. Academic Department and Program.
2. Name(s) of faculty member(s) responsible for the proposed assessment work.
3. Description of project, including action steps, timeline for completion, and an explanation of why this work must be completed in the summer months.
4. Statement of how the proposed assessment work fits into the program’s overall assessment plan.
5. Budget for project presented as a list of planned expenditures, including any stipends.*
6. How success of the proposed project will be determined.
7. Statement of support from the department chair that indicates how the proposed project fits into the ongoing assessment work of the department.
Review Procedures: Submit applications via email to Laura Massa, Director of Assessment, at email@example.com. The Assessment Advisory Committee will review all applications.
Application Deadlines: Applications will be accepted on a continuing basis until May 31, 2013, or until funds are expended. Review of applications will begin on April 24, 2013.
Grant Summary: Faculty awarded a grant will submit a grant summary by September 6, 2013 to Laura Massa, Director of Assessment, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The grant summary must include:
• A summary of completed activities.
• A reflection on the success of the project.
• The next steps to be taken in the assessment plan for the program.
Disbursement of Grant Funds: Funds awarded for the purchase of goods and materials will be disbursed upon submission of receipts, or the goods and materials will be purchased for you upon request. Stipends will be disbursed upon submission of the grant summary.
*Please note that anyone receiving a summer stipend as a chair is ineligible for a stipend under this grant.
If you should have questions about the program, or need assistance in completing your grant application, please contact Laura Massa, Director of Assessment, at email@example.com