IN THE EVENT OF A POWER OUTAGE
- Assess the extent of the outage, and report the status to the Department of Public Safety (DPS).
- DO NOT use candles or other types of open flame for lighting. Instead, use flashlights.
- DO NOT use elevators.
- Unplug and turn off electrical equipment (e.g. desktop computers, laboratory equipment, small appliances).
- Check elevators to determine if anyone is trapped inside. If so, tell passengers to stay calm, and immediately notify DPS. DO NOT attempt to force open the doors.
- Request or wait for direction from the Building Captain, Resident Assistant, Resident Director, or DPS regarding whether to evacuate or stay in place.
Note: During and immediately following a power outage, you may experience delays
when attempting to access doors/areas that require card entry.