MESA [McCarthy Experience in Service & Action]
Located in McCarthy Hall, these 28 students, passionate about service, work with the local community.
Participants will live and learn with their roommates, suitemates, and significantly interact with both program directors. Participants will live in designated suites in McCarthy Hall. In return, participants in the MESA community will be expected to actively engage in a variety of methods to learn about themselves, their community, and ways to initiate change.
Our Mission Statement
To educate and form men and women for others through a living and learning environment. Through direct personal contact with the marginalized of our local and global community, resident students will lead efforts to create a more faith-filled and just society by serving others.
- Participate in one group service project per month
- Attend two, one hour-long MESA meetings per month. One meeting will be based on the MESA curriculum and one will be a group reflection meeting.
- Return to McCarthy two days before the halls open to attend MESA Orientation
- Participate in a minimum of 3-5 service hours per week
- As a suite, organize one group service project per month, update the MESA bulletin board, and lead one group reflection meeting (once per semester)
Potential Group Opportunities for Service through MESA
- Hunger Banquet: An LMU-sponsored event that imitates famine and hunger around the world
- Ballona Wetland Clean-Up: Spend a day restoring the habitat of the Ballona Wetlands and learn ways to decrease your daily environmental impact
- Marycrest Manor: Help plan and facilitate a barbecue for the elderly, and connect with the kind and friendly residents
- Midnight Mission: Serve the poor on Skid Row in the heart of Los Angeles and meet people making a positive impact in their community
How to Apply for MESA
To access the applications for the MESA theme housing programs, please log in to MYLMU. Select "system logins" from the top right to access "student housing online services" option from the drop-down menu. Select the "my housing" tab and the link titled "forms." For further information, please contact:
Mario Garibay, RD
Tom King, Program Coordinator
Center for Service in Action