The roommate agreement should be reviewed periodically by all roommates to make adjustments when necessary. If conflict occurs we suggest the following actions be taken.
Discuss the issue with your roommate
- Your roommate may not be aware that you have an issue. Make sure that you have discussed it.
- Don't hold things in and wait until the end.
- Be specific about the issue.
See if you can compromise
- Try to discuss the specific issue.
- See if the original agreement needs to be revised.
- What can you do to come to an agreement or reinforce the original agreement?
If compromise doesn't work, then speak to a Residence Life staff member
- If you are unable to agree on an issue, contact an RA or your RD to assist with the mediation process.
- The mediation will consist of you and your roommate(s) meeting with an RA or RD to discuss the problem.
- The goal of the mediation will be to come an agreement where you and your roommate(s) can live together.
- If mediation does not work, the Assistant Director of your area will select a Student Affairs staff member to serve as Arbitrator.